Friday, September 10, 2010

Rite of Passage & The Colonel

Rite of Passage & The Colonel

The two poems I choice to study from the “Poetry of witness” list was first Sharon Olds, Rites of Passage, and the second were Carolyn Forche`, The Colonel. I find it hard to get some connection to a poem I read and often have to read them several times. I find I struggle with what the author is trying to portray.
I connected to Rites of Passage solely due to it reminds me of when my daughters have their annual birthday slumber parties. The way Sharon Olds describes the child full banter back and forth between them is not only on point but funny like she describes in the following lines: “……… they stand around jostling, jockeying for place, small fights breaking out and calming.” (5-7), having seen first hand how little kids interact and a pack like mentality develops within them when together in a party setting, I think she captures that well in her poem. Her description of the little boys and the correlation between them and Army Generals was terrifically funny: “they relax and get down to playing war, celebrating my son’s life.” (25-26). It was amusing to see that little boys are just the same as young girls at birthday parties just minus the “bling” and make-up.
The following poem I read and also had the most tribulations with was Carolyn Forche`- The Colonel. The gruesome details and descriptions did not bother me such as “He spilled many human ears on the table. They were like dried peach halves.” (22-23), I think her bare bones description of such an event made it somehow more believable. I guess what or who this guy was I had most problems with understanding, obviously his house was like any other but, he was far from normal, from the description of the wife as a “maid” and the serving of the mango's and salt I believe this is a house in Mexico and a home of a member of the Mexican Cartel. So I guess I'm left asking myself are these visitors at the table guests or his next targets for his brutality?
The poem begins with; “What you have heard is true. I was in his house.” (1), this man must have been a well known drug lord of sorts and the one thing that struck me the most was how her use of description could undoubtedly make anyone think your are sat at that table with them. Almost as if you also had that experience, wonderfully wrote, and I think I will certainly look into more of her poetry.


Work cited

Olds,Sharon,“Rites of Passage” from Strike Sparks, Selected Poems 1980-2002. Alfred A. Knopf, 2004.

Forche`,Carolyn,“The Colonel” from The Country Between us.Forche,Carolyn, 1978.

Link to another poem by Carolyn Forche`:
The Visitor by Carolyn Forche`


No comments:

Post a Comment