Sunday, October 31, 2010

Thesis blog


My thesis statement for essay #3:

No other war has caused so much variation in opinion and continues to now, thirty years after its completion, which is that of the Vietnam War. One crucial aspect of controversy surrounding the war was that of the draft and the stigma associated towards the 60,000 Americans who fled to Canada to avoid it. Looking back now thirty years later, where they right to flee? Did that war create more harm than good, especially to the American Soldiers that fought there?

Question: Where they right to flee and did that war create more harm than good?

Question: Is it arguable?
 Yes I do believe it is arguable as the topic is one of a lot of tension through out previous decades and to this day 30 years after the war ended people still have very strong opinions on the people who did flee the draft.

Question: Is it Specific?
 The book “The Things They Carried” covered a range of topics and issues concerning the Vietnam War, the draft is just one of those topics covered, it is a very specific in that it covers not the draft as a whole but just the point of fleeing the draft and the consequences of going to war or choosing to dodge the draft years later.

Question: Could I support it with evidence from the text?

Tim Obrien covers the draft and the possibilities of fleeing to Canada in great detail. From his 6 days he spent in a cabin at the boarder of Canada and the strong emotions that it caused for him and how it worked through it to ultimately decide to go home and go to war.

Question: Would my thesis statement be considered a strong thesis statement?

I do believe I have a strong foundation in my thesis statement and pose an opinion and do give a question which I intend to answer and prove with facts through out my paper. The question I pose is specific enough and not vague. The text “The Things They Carried” covers the topic well and has ample evidence to back up my thesis statement, but due to my question being so specific there is also plenty of research material available to use in my paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment