Friday, November 12, 2010

Topic Proposal


Topic Proposal


            One aspect of the story “The Handmaid’s Tail” by Margaret Atwood that I found intriguing was the control placed on women and how the government viewed them as such a threat but in the other hand a dire need to preserving the human race. The controls placed on them such as sex, sexuality, clothing, reading etc is nothing new but for it to be implemented in a western society such as America is an interesting concept that I would like to research further to see if control on women to this extreme would be possible in the U.S and what it’s gain would be.
            I plan to research female control through out the world such as in the Muslim culture and relate it back to the text for comparison and then analyze the findings to see if in reality it could be implemented in real life here in America. I hope by this research I can also gain a better understand as to why the female characters in Atwood story were so restricted and why writing and reading especially of the bible was such a punishable offense for women. Through this research I also want to gain a better understanding of the clothing women are required to wear and if the colors are of any symbolic meaning.
            I find some of the controls placed on the characters confusing and through this research I will hopefully be able to gain more understanding of “The Handmaid’s Tail”.

 The cover of the first edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment